Skin Care Must Haves
By Dr. Jeffrey W. Hall of Hall Plastic Surgery & Rejuvenation Center
With summer underway I have patients daily asking me what they can do to protect their skin and prevent aging. For so many it is important to do whatever they can to age gracefully and maintain beautiful skin all through their lives. Since hiding under a rock isn’t a very feasible option for most, I encourage them to nourish their skin with these simple nutrients for success.
Growth factors are an amazing advancement in anti-aging skin care. Growth factors naturally occur in the body and are proteins responsible for repairing damaged skin from natural aging. Overtime as we age, we produce less and less of our own growth factors accelerating the aging process and preventing speedy repair to damaged skin cells. This results in quicker breakdown of collagen, our foundational support to the skin. Over the years, skin care research has formulated topical growth factors that give back to the skin what is lost with age. Topical application of these growth factors can significantly decrease the signs of aging by reducing fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, and increasing healthy collagen stores. Not all growth factor products are created equal so be sure to do your research first. We highly recommend the Skin Medica® TNS line of high quality growth factor products. Prices range anywhere from $85-$265.
Vitamin C products are always an important line of defense with skin care in what they do to help protect, prevent, and restore the skin. Vitamin C is an essential antioxidant for the skin, helping to protect from sun damage within the dermis. Topical Vitamin C boosts the capabilities of sunscreen by penetrating the skin at a deeper level to strengthen the skin’s protective barrier against UV damage. Vitamin C has also been shown to help correct and prevent hyperpigmentation, reduce inflammation, and is an essential component to the body’s production of collagen. For oily skin consider Phloretin CF® and for dry skin C E Ferulic®, both by SkinCeuticals. Prices $140-$150
Retinol is an inactive form of Vitamin A used for repairing damaged skin. Once applied to the skin, the Vitamin A converts to its active form, retinoic acid. Retinol promotes cell production helping to gradually restore the skin overtime. Retinol also helps repair collagen giving the skin a fuller look and more even tone. Retinol can cause some initial skin sensitivity, so it is important to consult a physician for recommendations on strength and frequency of use. Retinol products typically range anywhere from $50-$80.
With summer underway sunscreen is absolutely essential to protecting your skin and preventing lasting damage. It’s important to know what to look for when choosing a good quality sunscreen. Broad spectrum support that spans the full UVA/UVB spectrum is key. Look for paraben-free, high SPF sunscreen. For those that don’t like heavy weight sunscreens, there are many wonderful oil-free alternatives. Prices generally vary anywhere from $25-$35.
- Cellulaze: The Newest Technology to Treat and Correct Cellulite
- Top 5 Non-Invasive Cosmetic Treatments
- Cellulaze permanently rids women of cellulite
- Skin Care Must Haves
- Fat Injections for Breast Augmentation—Safe or Not?
- Combining nutrition as a part of surgical care
- Ultherapy featured on ABC's 20/20
- XEOMIN® (incobotulinumtoxinA) for injection, for intramuscular use, available at Hall Plastic Surgery & Rejuvenation Center.
- Coolsculpting in the news
- TICKLE LIPO™ featured on the national TV show
- CoolSculpting® featured on ABC and MSNBC news
- Dr. Hall discusses the benefits of Custom Acoustic Liposuction in an interview with American Health and Beauty
- Solutions to finding your foutain of youth
- Dysport available in Austin, TX, at Hall Plastic Surgery and Rejuvenation Center
- Oprah's "Magic Lotion" is TNS
- SkinCeuticals wins Allure Best of Beauty Awards
- Clarisonic Skin Care Brush, as seen in O, The Oprah Magazine
- Introducing the Natrelle 410, a breast implant more true to a woman's shape
- Realistic Expectations From Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Tattoo Removal Austin: A Peek at PicoSureTM
- Is plastic surgery now commonplace?